Friday, November 14, 2008

IVF Consult...

Yesterday was our consult for IVF. Boy was that overwhelming, 2hrs of "oh my god what are we doing". But even the thought of being broke, all the shots. and all the trips to the Dr's isn't going to stop us. Dr Fiedler offers a really great program and its the only place in this area to offer it. For a rather large sum of money($22,000) which doesn't include meds, anesthesia and various other small but expensive things we will get 6 stimulated trys at the IVF and if we don't deliver a live baby we will get all our money back to put towards adoption. What I mean by 6 stimulated tries is, my first cycle will be stimulated by meds. After the egg retrieval and embryo transfer what ever embryo's are left over will be frozen. If we don't get pregnant from the 1st cycle our next cycle will be a FET(frozen embryo transfer) cycle. They will thaw our left over embryos and transfer them. That FET cycle doesn't count as cycle #2. If the FET cycle fails we will then stimulate again to get fresh eggs, that counts as cycle 2. So if i go through all my cycles we are actually looking at 12cycles being included in that price. That makes it way more worth it to me. However if we get pregnant on the 1st cycle, we have just lost about $10,000 but a baby makes it worth it and it will be nice not to have to go through all the poking and prodding.

I don't know to many details or dates at the moment, we are kinda taking it one thing at a time. I still have a left over cyst on my right ovary. A cyst is actually a leftover follicle. If that's there when we start stimulating that will grow way to big and might stop others from growing. So I'm going to start birth control pills today and will probably be on them between 2-3weeks. They should get rid of the cyst and bring my E2 level down. If everything looks good at that time we will begin stimulating.

Its not just going to be one drug I'm injecting this time. Its more like 3-4different drugs. Some are belly shots and some are butt shots(ouch). We had butt shot instructions yesterday. Luke had to learn to do it and that scared me. Their i was with my pants half off, bent over a chair and Luke had to stab my butt. But thankfully my butt is so tiny that I get to use 1inch needles instead of 1.5inch needles. It still burns though!

That's about all I can remember, I'll update as i find more out. I gotta go get ready to see the two little girls that make me realize how worth it this journey is!

3 comments:

The Browers said...

wow, you guys are going to be like the fertility doogie howser after this is all said and done. have a great time and the party, and have a beer!

Busy Beaver's said...

Here I am blog stalking (is it stalking if I identify myself)? I can't say I know anything about the heartache you are enduring and I'll try my best not to say any of those cheese comments you posted....but I can't make any promises. I would like to point out that you should feel really good about your tiny heiny! At least you didn't post this: "and to top it off, my ass is too big so now I have to use a larger needle. OUCH!"

The Witcoski's said...

Will be thinking of you. The journey you're about to take is not an easy one; but it will all be worth it!!