Tuesday, March 10, 2009

New information...

Well I'm back from my hystroscopy appt. Everything went well but they did find a good amount of scar tissue from my D&E so I guess it was a good idea to do it. Unfortunately I am now on estrogen for the next 28days to rebuild the parts of my lining that they clipped the scar tissue from. So once again my FET cycle is being pushed back and is most definitely interfering with our trip to Wisconsin. We are now looking at a mid-late April egg transfer. And of course because I'm me we got some results back on my blood tests. I have tested positive for the gene mutation called MTHFR!

What is MTHFR? Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) is the name of a gene that produces an enzyme, also called methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase. If a person carries the genetic mutation that inhibits production of this enzyme, it can result in hyperhomocytenemia, which is an elevated level of an enzyme called homocysteine found in blood plasma.
When the body is deficient in methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase, its ability to absorb folate (also known as vitamin B9), such as folic acid, is inhibited. Folic acid and B9 are both essential to the development and health of the fetus.
MTHFR and Pregnancy. Because of a mother with MTHFR’s inability to efficiently metabolize folic acid and vitamin B9, the disorder has been linked to a variety of pregnancy complications such as chromosomal abnormalities, such as Down syndrome, and congenital malformations.
Elevated levels of homocysteine have been associated with placental disease, preeclampsia and recurrent pregnancy loss. 21% of women with high levels of homocysteine experience recurrent pregnancy loss.

Yay for me!! Now I am being prescribe additional folic acid and we are waiting for the rest of my blood clotting tests to come back. With this disorder I could or could not have a blood clotting disorder. If i do have a clotting problem I would be put on baby aspirin and heparin(which is a belly shot twice a day) the next time I get pregnant. I seriously have no idea why this is being made so so hard for me! At least I'm getting some answers!

6 comments:

Teach Me. Lead Me. Inspire Me. said...

The information that you heard I know is hard to hear. But, the good news is that you have some information and are not left with the frustration of not knowing. You will become a Mom someday. (Keep positive even when it is hard.) It's just some of us have a harder journey to get there. But, in the end every ounce and prick are worth it. Hang in there and I am here if you need me.

{The Tresslers} said...

ugh. that's all i got right now...and beer...

The Witcoski's said...

I totally agree with both Amy and Heather. It's information. May not be the best news, but at least now you know something and they can do something about it. Staying positive is SUPER important for your wellbeing and the wellbeing of the peanut you will soon carry!

Unknown said...

It is good to know and get information, the right information! It can lead you down the right path. Happy thoughts for you :)
www.barrenwomb.com

Mya Ann and Lea Ashley said...

oh what a road you have been down and up and thrown around. good to have answers and seems like you are in the best hands possible---keep the faith and i know you will be mommy---and for all your have been through you will only treasure your angel that much more---prayers always coming from our end!!!!

Whiskey Bear Farm said...

Your story is inspiring. Feels odd to feel so defeated and at the same time be inspiring, I know. Thank you for keeping your blog up and for sharing your heartwrenching story. My heart aches for you. I have just gone through a round of metformin/clomid/hCG combo and find myself referring back to your blog quite often for information. I hope April is successful for you!
Laura